Eating Disorders Service

An exciting new Community Eating Disorders Service (CEDS) for children and young people launched in July 2016.

Here you can find out more about the service, including who it is for and how to get an appointment.

The service is part of Pennine Care’s Healthy Young Minds Service (formerly known as Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service - CAMHS). 

It provides dedicated care and support to children and young people with an eating disorder.  It also offers advice and support to families, carers and those who work with, or support, a child or young person. 

About the service

Previously, most children and young people with an eating disorder were seen within our community Healthy Young Minds Service.

However, research has shown that dedicated community-based services for eating disorders achieve better outcomes.

This research, along with guidance from NHS England (Access and Waiting Times Standard for Children and Young People with an Eating Disorder), has seen clinical commissioning groups across the Pennine Care footprint (*) fund this new service. 

(*) The Pennine Care footprint includes:  Bury; Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale (HMR); Oldham; Stockport; Tameside and Glossop; and Trafford.

The new Community Eating Disorders Service is part of our existing community-based Healthy Young Mind Service.  It aims to enhance the care and treatment that has previously been available by offering the following benefits:

• Earlier identification and support
• Intensive community-based treatment
• Co-management of inpatient admissions (working with hospital-based child and adolescent mental health staff)
• Extending care and treatment to young people aged up to 18 years across all boroughs (was previously only available up to 16 years in some boroughs)

What does the service provide?

The service offers children and young people a full assessment and NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) approved care, advice and treatment.  The service is being rolled out in a phased approach - and phase two is now live.  

During this phase the service will: 

  • Continue to provide urgent home-based treatment for young people aged under 16 years. This includes interventions such as meal time support.
  • Begin to offer enhanced planned home-based treatment for young people aged under 16 years.
  • Begin to take over the care of young people aged 17 years from the core Healthy Young Minds Service. Significant planning will go into the transition of their care, to ensure it is smooth, joined up and does not have a negative impact on young people’s progress. The process will be undertaken in partnership with young people, along with their families or carers where appropriate.
  • Begin to deliver support sessions and workshops to young people aged 14 years and above – along with their families and carers, where appropriate. This will focus on topics such as body image, self-esteem, parental support, mindfulness and relaxation.
  • Offer bespoke training to those who work with or care for young people. This will be done in partnership with national charity B-eat
  • Establish an eating disorders champion in each borough’s core Healthy Young Minds (HYM) Service. This will enable the HYM and CEDS staff to better work together to support the different needs of young people.
  • Continue to develop a central hub for the North Team and the South Team (see below for details). 

Where is the service based?

The new service is delivered by two teams:

• North Team: covering Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale, Bury and Oldham
• South Team:  covering Stockport, Tameside and Glossop and Trafford

The teams are each based in a central hub; the north hub is based on Tenterden Street in Bury and the south hub at Grosvener House in Stockport.  However, the service is provided at venues right across each borough so you don't necessarily have to travel to the hub for all appointments.

How to get an appointment?

Aged 16 to 18 years?

If you are aged 16 to 18 years old and have an eating disorder (or a suspected eating disorder) you can refer yourself to the Community Eating Disorders Service.  

Simply complete the attached referral form and email it to

A parent, carer or anyone who works with you, or supports you, can also make a referral on your behalf - but they must have your permission first.

Aged under 16 years?

If you are under 16 years old and you would like help or support for an eating disorder (or a suspected eating disorder) you will need to be referred to the Healthy Young Minds Service in your borough (formerly known as CAMHS).  

Only a professional can refer to this service, so please speak to your GP (family doctor) or another professional.  Click here for further details about our Healthy Young Minds Service.   

Need urgent help or advice?

If you need urgent or emergency help, you should go to your nearest accident and emergency department.  Further sources of advice are provided by clicking on the red 'I need help now' button at the bottom of the page.

Further information

If you have any questions about the service, or making a referral, please email the team at

You can also follow us on social media:


• @HealthyYM
• @PennineCareNHS