What to do if you’re worried about a child’s mental health
- Make time to listen - create a calm, safe space where they can communicate their feelings. They may feel overwhelmed by a changing situation that isn’t being clearly explained in a way they can understand.
- Take time to talk - some young people find it easier to talk while doing something together such as playing in the park, going for a walk, painting or other activities.
- Try to understand the problems and provide reassurance that you have heard them and you are there to help. Their problems could be something you haven’t picked up on – it’s very common, so don’t feel guilty about this.
Further advice and helpful tips can be found on NHS’s Every Mind Matters.
Are you worried about a child right now?
- If a child has taken an overdose or needs urgent medical help call 999 or take them to the nearest A&E. In Bury, it will be Fairfield General Hospital nhs.uk/location
- If you need urgent mental health support or advice, for instance, a child is having suicidal thoughts or is self-harming call Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust 24-hour mental health helpline 0800 014 9995 or contact your GP for advice
- If you have noticed physical injuries such as deep cuts or burns contact NHS 111 online or your GP for advice.
If you have an appointment to come and see us, you can find all our details below. If you don’t have an appointment, please see the resources at the bottom of this page for more information about different services that can help in your area.
- Fairfield General Hospital
Rochdale Old Road
- 0161 716 1100
There are pay and display parking on site.
The hospital is also accessible by public transport.
Help available to you
The Bury Young Carers service (BYC) offers information, support and advice on issues relating to young carers who are looking after a parent or guardian who is disabled, has a mental health issue or has a problematic use of drugs or alcohol. They offer one to one and group support and activities for young people aged 7-18 years old Tel: 0161 253 5144 http://www.bury.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4855
Free, 24/7, anonymous online support network at Big White Wall. Young people aged 16-25 in Bury can log in using their postcode.
For more information on any services available in Bury, you can call the local children/families information service Tel: 0161 253 5941