What to do if you’re worried about a child’s mental health
- Make time to listen - create a calm, safe space where they can communicate their feelings. They may feel overwhelmed by a changing situation that isn’t being clearly explained in a way they can understand.
- Take time to talk - some young people find it easier to talk while doing something together such as playing in the park, going for a walk, painting or other activities.
- Try to understand the problems and provide reassurance that you have heard them and you are there to help. Their problems could be something you haven’t picked up on – it’s very common, so don’t feel guilty about this.
Further advice and helpful tips can be found on NHS’s Every Mind Matters.
Are you worried about a child right now?
- If a child has taken an overdose or needs urgent medical help call 999 or take them to the nearest A&E. In Stockport, it will be Stepping Hill hospital nhs.uk/location
- If you need urgent mental health support or advice, for instance, a child is having suicidal thoughts or is self-harming call Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust 24-hour mental health helpline 0800 014 9995 or contact your GP for advice
- If you have noticed physical injuries such as deep cuts or burns contact NHS 111 online or your GP for advice.
We have temporarily moved!
The Forum, Tameside House
Tameside Business Park
If you have an appointment to come and see us, you can find all our details below. If you don’t have an appointment, please see the resources at the bottom of this page for more information about different services that can help in your area.
Update on Stockport Healthy Young Minds
Please note, we've temporarily moved to The Forum in Denton (and out of our usual base at Stepping Hill). This new address is listed under contact information.
We currently have longer delays than usual for some of our routine mental health appointments and social communication assessments for children and young people. Read more in our latest service update.
- The Forum, Tameside House
Tameside Business Park
- 0161 716 5868
- 0161 419 2081
If your appointment is at The Forum in Denton and you do not have your own transport or cannot use public transport, you should discuss your transport needs with your clinician.
Help available to you
Central Youth – counselling and sexual health services for ages 11-25 years http://www.centralyouth.org.uk/
Counselling for young people http://www.beacon-counselling.org.uk/YoungPeople.php
Relate – counselling for young people struggling after parental separation or divorce http://www.relategms.co.uk 0161 442 2443
Parents in Partnership (PIPS) - a forum for the parents of young people aged 0-25 with disabilities or additional needs http://www.pipstockport.org/