Worried About Your Child?

Many children and young people experience emotional and behavioural problems from time to time. They may be stressed about exams, unhappy about friendship problems, confused about changes to their body, anxious about the future. They may experience worries and sadness. There is lots of advice and information online about how to help.

If you are worried about your child you can get excellent advice and support from YoungMinds.

They have a free helpline (0808 802 5544) staffed Monday to Friday. You can also find information on their website.

You can also get lots of information about how you can help using Mind-Ed.

Mind-Ed is an online e-portal offering free, simple advice to help adults identify, understand and support children and young people with mental health issues.

Sections about Talking to children and Is your child depressed? may be particularly helpful for parents.

There are also lot of local services which you can contact for help, support and advice before considering a specialist mental health service. Just choose your area from the drop-down box at the bottom of the page or visit our resources section for more information.

Need more help?

There is a difference between feeling worried and anxious from time to time and a serious emotional health problem. If your child's difficulties are not improving over time, or if the problems are having a significant impact on him or her, then it may be the time to get more professional help.

Any professional working with children and young people can help. If your child's problems seem centred round school then approaching a teacher or pastoral care staff member at school would be the best place to start. From there, your child might be referred for counselling.

Your GP is also well placed to discuss your concerns with you and direct you to local support such as perhaps a parenting support group.

If your child has more significant problems or if the problems not getting better, then a referral to Specialist CAMHS may be the next step.

What are Specialist CAMHS?

Specialist CAMHS are NHS mental health services that focus on the needs of children and young people with more significant mental health problems. They are multidisciplinary teams that include Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Mental Health Nurses, Mental Health Practitioners, CBT Therapists Family Therapists and Counsellors. More information can be found on the NHS website.

Healthy Young Minds is a specialist CAMH service with teams in Bury, Oldham, Heywood, Middleton & Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside & Glossop and Trafford.

My Child Is At Risk of Self-Harm or Suicide

Any self-harming or suicidal urges or behaviours need to be taken very seriously. Make an emergency appointment with your GP and seek help from Healthy Young Minds. If your child has self-harmed in any way or states that they are going to self-harm imminently, seek immediate support from A&E.